All NewsNewsTop News

‘Sorry, you can’t go in!’

 

By Nathaniel Zaccheaus, Abuja

The National Assembly premises witnessed unprecedented tension on Tuesday following a dramatic standoff involving the suspended Senator representing Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, who attempted to resume legislative duties despite resistance from Senate leadership.

The Senator, whose six-month suspension was recently suppressed by the Federal High Court, arrived at the National Assembly complex determined to reclaim her seat.

However, she was blocked from entry by heavily armed security operatives acting under undisclosed orders.

From as early as 7:30 am, the usually open gates of the parliament were transformed into a fortress, manned by over 100 security operatives, including the Police, Civil Defence Corps, DSS agents, and the National Assembly’s Sergeant-at-Arms.

Journalists, staff, and other visitors were subjected to intense scrutiny. At the same time, a long queue of vehicles stretched down the access roads, all in what appeared to be a calculated effort to stop Natasha from entering.

At about 11:15 am, the Senator arrived in a convoy of two SUVs. Security personnel immediately locked the main gate upon recognising her, preventing her and others from gaining access.

Undeterred by the light rainfall, she alighted from her vehicle and began the roughly one-kilometre walk toward the complex on foot, accompanied by renowned activist Aisha Yesufu, members of her family, a few supporters, and journalists.

But she was stopped again, this time at the Mopol gate, the final checkpoint into the complex. There, the gates were hurriedly shut against her.

Speaking passionately outside the locked gates, Senator Akpoti-Uduaghan expressed her outrage over what she described as “an illegal denial of access” and “a contempt of court by lawmakers who should uphold the Constitution.”

She said, “I am a duly elected senator by the good people of Kogi Central. My suspension was declared excessive and unlawful by a competent court of law.

“The Senate has neither appealed the judgment officially nor obtained any stay of execution. The refusal to allow me to resume is unconstitutional and illegal.”

She further clarified that although Senate President Godswill Akpabio had personally filed an appeal against the court ruling, it was not done on behalf of the Senate or National Assembly.

She maintained that no stay of execution had been granted, meaning the judgement declaring her suspension unlawful remained valid and binding.

Citing Sections 63 and 287(3) of the Nigerian Constitution, the Senator argued that denying her access to the Senate chamber was not only a breach of her rights but also a violation of constitutional provisions mandating a minimum number of attendance days for legislators to perform their duties.

She said, “This action is not just against me; it is against every Nigerian who believes in the rule of law. No one, no matter how highly placed, should be above the law, not even the Senate President.”

She also linked her suspension to a petition she submitted on sexual harassment within the National Assembly, alleging that her ordeal was rooted in personal vendettas from leadership figures threatened by her outspokenness.

Akpoti-Uduaghan said, “It’s no coincidence that I was suspended just one day after presenting a petition on sexual harassment in the Senate.

“The pattern of persecution, including the failed recall attempt and two ongoing federal cases based on what amounts to defamation, is part of a larger attempt to silence me.”

Her remarks drew swift condemnation from civil society groups present at the scene. Prominent activist Aisha Yesufu declared the incident “a shameful abuse of state power and a reflection of how institutions are weaponised to suppress women and dissenting voices.”

“This is not just about Natasha. This is about democracy. About our rights. And about ensuring that no woman is punished for speaking truth to power,” Yesufu stated.

Meanwhile, no Senator or official from the red chamber was seen at the scene, further underscoring the isolation Natasha faced from within the legislative body.

Her supporters noted that the Senate is expected to go on recess this week, meaning by the time they reconvene in late September, she would have already served most of the disputed suspension term.

*I’ll seek Appeal Court’s interpretation of judgement, says embattled Senator

The embattled Senator revealed plans to seek further judicial interpretation of Tuesday’s events, while pledging to remain peaceful and law-abiding despite what she described as continuous provocations.

She said, “I refused to apologise for a wrong I did not commit. If this injustice is not addressed, it sets a dangerous precedent for our democracy. But I am hopeful that with the support of Nigerians, we will rewrite this narrative.”

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button