News

City Boys defend Edo stadium turnout, dismiss APC rejection

 

By Seyi Odewale

 

The Edo State Coordinator of the City Boy Movement, Dr Paddy Iyamu, on Monday dismissed claims that low attendance at the Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium empowerment programme reflected public rejection of the All Progressives Congress, describing such assertions as false and politically motivated.

Speaking in Benin City during the distribution of empowerment items, Iyamu said only 6,000 verified beneficiaries were invited to the programme, making it impossible to fill the stadium’s 14,000-seat capacity.

“There are speculations that Edo people rejected the APC; that is a big lie,” Iyamu said.

He explained that organisers intentionally decentralised distribution to avoid overcrowding and stampede, noting that beneficiaries would receive items in phases throughout the week.

“We had 6,000 beneficiaries gathered, and because we didn’t want any stampede, we decided to decentralise distribution until Friday,” he stated.

Iyamu said the programme, spearheaded by Seyi Tinubu, was designed as an economic empowerment initiative for beneficiaries across the South-South region rather than a political rally.

According to him, about 2,000 beneficiaries came from Edo State’s 18 local government areas, while others from Delta, Rivers, and Bayelsa states had already received support.

He added that lessons from previous crowd management failures in Owerri informed stricter verification measures.

“We should have a decent empowerment programme rather than having one stampeded and the purpose defeated,” he said.

Items distributed included buses, tricycles, sewing machines, laptops, deep freezers, hairdressing kits, and wheelchairs.

Iyamu maintained that beneficiaries were selected across party lines, including persons living with disabilities, underscoring that the initiative was focused on economic support rather than partisan considerations.

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button