All NewsNews

100 missing from boat mishap in Niger – Authority

No fewer than 100 persons are missing from the boat mishap that occurred near Corner Libata Ingaski, a border town between Kebbi and Niger.

Alhaji Ahmed Inga, Director-General of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) confirmed this on Wednesday.

The passengers, believed to be mainly women and children, were traveling from Niger to Kebbi on Wednesday morning when the vessel capsized.

He said the agency received a report of a boat mishap that occurred around 8 a.m, adding that the boat was said to have taken off at Loko Minna in Niger, by 7:30 a.m.

Boat mishap: INEC Confirms No Loss of Persons, Material

Inag said that the boat was carrying more than180 passengers and most of the passengers were from Kebbi heading to a market.

He said the cause of the accident was a result of overloading and the old age of the boat.

The director-general said more than 20 people had been rescued and four bodies recovered.

He said that the search and rescue operation was ongoing by the Marine police and other agencies.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button