All NewsNewsTop News

Alleged N110bn fraud: You must remain in Kuje prison, Court tells ex-gov Yahaya Bello

By Olusegun Olanrewaju

A Federal Capital Territory High Court in Abuja yesterday remanded the former governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, in Kuje Correctional Centre pending his bail application.

Justice Maryann Anenih also adjourned the hearing in the N110bn money laundering case brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to January 29, 30, and February 25 and 27 for hearing.

The Judge refused to grant the former governor’s bail application, saying it was filed prematurely.

Anenih, while delivering the ruling, said that the instant application needed to be more competent because it was filed when he was neither in custody nor before the Court.

The former governor is standing trial, along with two others, in an alleged N110bn money laundering charge brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

In the earlier arguments on the bail application, the Judge said, “Before the Court is a motion on notice, dated and filed on November 22.

The Judge said, “The 1st defendant seeks an order of this honourable Court admitting him to bail pending the hearing and determination of the charge.

“That he became aware of the instant charge through the public summons. He is a two-term governor of Kogi State. If released on bail, he would not interfere with the witnesses and not jump bail.”

She said the defendant’s counsel, Joseph Daudu (SAN), had told the Court that he had submitted sufficient facts to grant the bail.

Read Also:Court strikes out Yahaya Bello’s bail application

He urged the Court to exercise its discretion judicially and judiciously to grant the bail.

In opposition, the prosecution counsel, Kemi Pinheiro (SAN), argued that the instant application was grossly incompetent, having been filed before arraignment.

He said it ought to be filed after arraignment, but the 1st Defendant’s Counsel disagreed, saying there was no authority.

Delivering the ruling, Anenih said the instant application for bail was filed on November 22, several days after Mister Bello was taken into custody.

Reading from the ACJa section, the Judge said the provision provided that a bail application could be made when a defendant had been arrested, detained, prosecuted, or brought before the Court.

Bello had filed an application for his bail on November 22 but was taken into custody on November 26 and arraigned on November 27.

However, the second defendant, Umar Oricha, was granted N300 million bail with two sureties, “who shall have property in the Maitama District of the FCT, within the jurisdiction of the Court.

“He shall not travel outside without the leave of the Court and shall remain in Kuje Correctional Centre, pending the fulfilment of the bail conditions.”

The 3rd defendant, Abdulsalami Hudu, was also granted N300 million bail with the same conditions as the 2nd defendant.

However, the Judge said that each surety must enter into a bond for no more than one defendant, while the defendants were directed to deposit their passports with the court registrar.

 

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button