By Olusegun Olanrewaju and Linus Aleke
It is wartime once again in Europe. And the world is in the throes of its fever. The echo of what next turmoil to expect is reverberating in the epicentre of the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
As tanks rolled crossed the Ukraine border yesterday, leaving destruction and global disappointment in its wake, the desperate post of a Nigerian cleric and missionary to Ukraine, Sunday Adelaja, sums up the reverberating effects.
The congregational leader said he could hear bombs and sounds of shells from his home, calling on Nigerians to pray for Ukraine. He added that telephone lines had been cut off at the moment.
“Hello, dear friends, while we still have access to the internet here in Ukraine, since no more telephone communication is possible within Ukraine, I will like to use this opportunity to send out this message to our friends and families all over the world.
“Yes, it is true. We are under attack in Ukraine. We couldn’t believe it for a long time that Russian Federation would attack Ukraine, but alas it has happened. I thought this is not possible, but I’m right now in the midst of it. Americans were right…” a desperate Ukrainian sobered amidst the sounds of intense shelling in his neighbourhood.
He adds, “From my house here in Kiev, I could hear bombs and loud sounds of shelling. We are in the midst of a total war with Russia. We stand in faith, we stand in God. We put our trust in his promises, while we hope for the best.
“We ask the world to pray for Ukraine. Pray for peace. Pray for Russia. Pray for world leaders. Especially, for the president of Russia, Ukraine, USA. Meanwhile, we are staying safe at home, praying and believing God for the best. Thank you so much everyone for your prayers and support…”
•The invasion
After a long tendency of dilly-dallying, the Russians started attacking military installations in Ukraine yesterday.
That came amid worries and accusations by the western world of imminent invasion which Russian strongman, Vladimir Putin, repeatedly denied.
Desperate calls of anguish have been trailing the bloodied Caucasus. Other nations wait with bated breath. There are desperate calls for help everywhere.
The Russians launched a full-scale attack on Ukraine after demanding an end to NATO’s eastward expansion.
They pegged their response on the claim that Ukrainian membership of the US-led Atlantic military alliance was unacceptable.
In Ukraine, the state border service reported that Russia attacked the country’s multiple borders.
The border said the attacks are targeting border units, border patrols, and checkpoints using artillery, heavy equipment, and small arms.
The service added that Ukraine’s border guards, along with Ukraine’s Armed Forces and National Guard, were firing back and its air force shut down five Russian planes and several attack helicopters.
•Nigeria’s response *Reps C’ttee leads team to evacuate students, others today
Nigeria, like other nations of the world, is feeling the pangs, as tanks rolled into the Ukrainian territory yesterday, amid fierce poundings by the artillery of the Russian forces.
As the western countries rally to contain the onslaught of Moscow on Kiev, especially through sanctions, the Federal Government yesterday promised to embark on the evacuation of Nigerians living in Ukraine as soon as the airports in the country are opened.
In a statement by the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Francisca Omayuli, following the invasion of Ukraine by neighbouring Russia yesterday, the Federal Government assured Nigerians of its commitment to ensuring the safety of the lives of citizens living in Ukraine.
It added that measures were being taken to safeguard the lives of Nigerians in the embattled country.
“The Federal Government of Nigeria has received, with surprise, reports of the invasion of Ukraine by Russia. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been reassured by the Nigerian Embassy in Ukraine of the safety of Nigerians in that country.
“And measures are being taken to keep them safe and facilitate the evacuation of those who wish to leave. The Federal Government wishes to assure families with loved ones in Ukraine that, as soon as the airports in the country are opened, it will assist in facilitating the evacuation of Nigerians who are willing to leave.
“In the meantime, the Nigerian Mission has confirmed that military action by the Russians has been confined to military installations,” the foreign ministry spokesperson stated.
In the meantime, the House of Representatives also yesterday resolved to collaborate with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and aviation carrier, Air Peace, to evacuate Nigerians living in Ukraine, following the Russian blistering Russian invasion.
The Green Chamber’s response followed the adoption of a motion of matter of urgent public importance by House member, Ahmed Munir (APC-Kano), at the plenary yesterday in Abuja.
Moving his motion, Munir said Nigeria has several students studying in Ukraine, who might be affected by the conflict.
He added, “This is in addition to several Nigerian diplomats and their families in the Kiev Embassy and Nigerian expatriates across Ukraine.”
The lawmaker added that if a strategic plan was not put in place to secure and provide safe passage for the citizens, they could be trapped or harmed.
House speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, assured the House was ready to intervene by collaborating with Air Peace to ensure the evacuation.
According to him, bureaucratic bottlenecks might slow down the process. “The U.S said it’s not going to be bloodless. We should be more proactive, and I think it’s better late than never,” he submitted, adding, “It’s important that, at this point, to forget all the bureaucratic bottlenecks and look out for our citizens, especially students.
“My thought is that the leader of the House, Ado Doguwa, and Chairman, Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Buba, should liaise with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, National Intelligence Agency, and Embassy in Ukraine.”
Munir further noted that if nothing positive came out of it, “the House should then liaise with the chairman Air Peace.”
He urged the concerned officials to depart Nigeria to commence the evacuation at whatever cost to the House.
“Whatever is going to cost the House, you need to leave this country, at the latest tomorrow and come back on February 1 with many of our students,” he said.
The House thereafter unanimously agreed on the motion, when it was put into a voice vote and mandated its leader, Ado Doguwa, to coordinate the interface with the foreign ministry, as well as consider working with Air Peace chairman, Allen Onyema, to avoid bureaucratic bottlenecks.
Before the end of the plenary, the House of Representatives offered to immediately evacuate Nigerians, especially students from Ukraine.
The House of Representatives vowed to fully shoulder the responsibility of the evacuation and mandated the leader; Chairman, Committee on Foreign Affairs, to jet out to Ukraine today for the exercise.
Also, the Federal Government has joined the arrangement for a special flight operation to evacuate citizens, as the situation escalates.
•The Foreign ministry
Nigeria’s foreign minister, Geoffrey Onyeama, said the Nigerian Embassy in Kiev, the Ukrainian capital, had been contacted to arrange those wishing to return home from other areas, including Donestk and Luhensk.
Onyema assured Nigerians that the ministry had been following the event since the beginning, and promised to do everything for the safety of Nigerians in Ukraine, particularly students.
•Responses
Nigerians have been the reaction to the developments in troubled Ukraine. Former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar, urged the Muhammadu Buhari-led government to evacuate Nigerians residing in Ukraine.
In a statement, he said, “The Federal Government of Nigeria has received with surprise, reports of the invasion of Ukraine by Russia.
Noting that the majority of Nigerians in Ukraine were students, Atiku harped the need to evacuate them and urged all nations to deploy diplomacy in de-escalating the ongoing crisis.
In its reaction, The Nigerian Embassy, in its statement said, “The attention of the Embassy has been drawn to the declaration of a state of emergency and Martial law on the entire territory of Ukraine, except the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, by the government of Ukraine, effective from midnight of February 23, 2022, for 30 days, as well as the latest development on the Ukraine-Russia crises.
Uzodinma has failed, PDP will retake Imo – Wike
“Given the development, the embassy urges Nigerian Nationals resident in Ukraine to remain calm but very vigilant and be responsible for their security and safety.
“The embassy wishes to add that should any Nigerian National consider the situation as emotionally disturbing, such National may temporarily relocate to anywhere considered safe by private arrangement. They should, however, ensure that they do all the needful to validate all their resident documents for ease of return to the country when desired.
“Students seeking temporary relocation are enjoined to seek proper clearance and guarantee form from their respective institutions during this period.
“For those who are still considering it appropriate to remain in the country, be rest assured that the embassy remains open for its consular duties and responsibilities at all times.”
•NATO: The only hope?
North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO), the only global organization that could match the Russian defiance, according to experts, has ruled out immediate direct military intervention in the Russia-Ukraine conflict.
Its Secretary-General, Jens Stoltenberg, said yesterday in Brussels, the Belgian capital, that the alliance currently has no troops inside Ukraine, and that the organisation has no plans to send any into the country.
Stoltenberg said this at a news conference on Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, adding, “There are no NATO combat troops, no NATO troops at all inside Ukraine.
“We have made it clear that we don’t have any plans and intention of deploying NATO troops to Ukraine.
“What we have made clear is that we have already increased and we are increasing the presence of NATO troops in the eastern part of the alliance on NATO territory,” he said.
Ukraine is a partner of the Western defence alliance, but not a NATO member. Russia had promised to block all chances by the former to join the organisation, because it considers Ukraine a “sphere of influence”.
In its response to the humanitarian crisis following the invasion, the World Health Organisation (WHO), has warned that further escalation in the wake could cause a humanitarian catastrophe.
“Health workers, hospitals, and other facilities must never be a target and be allowed to continue to serve the health needs of communities.
“The protection of civilians is an obligation under international humanitarian law,” the world health body’s regional office said.


