All NewsSports

Decision on domestic spectators for Tokyo Olympics may come in June

A decision on limits for domestic spectators for the Tokyo Olympics may not be made until June, a month before the scheduled start of the games.

This development was reported by the Mainichi newspaper in Japan on Tuesday.

A decision that foreign spectators would not be allowed was made in March, and a decision on the number of domestic spectators to be allowed had been widely expected in April.

The games were put off for a year due to the coronavirus pandemic which is surging again in Japan.

Japan planning to ban overseas Olympic spectators over COVID-19 fears

Organisers for the 2020 Games said in a statement that, at a meeting of all the parties involved last month, “it was agreed that a general decision on spectator capacity in venues will be made in April, with the understanding that COVID-19 circumstances may necessitate a flexible approach.”

The statement said organisers were still discussing the matter with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and International Paralympic Committee (IPC).

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button