All NewsNewsTop News

Derailment: Abuja-Kaduna train services suspended indefinitely

By Ben Adoga, Abuja

 

There was pandemonium on Tuesday morning when a Kaduna-bound passenger train derailed minutes after leaving Abuja, forcing terrified passengers to leap for safety and rekindling fears over the safety of Nigeria’s multi-billion-naira rail network.

The incident occurred at exactly 11:09 a.m. at Kilometre 49, between Kubwa and Asham stations, involving the Nigerian Railway Corporation’s (NRC) AKTS service, which had departed Idu station barely half an hour earlier.

Witnesses described a frightening scene as coaches violently jerked off the tracks, leaving passengers scrambling for their lives.

“People were screaming, rushing to jump out. Some thought it was another terrorist attack. It was chaos,” one survivor recounted.

In the aftermath, NRC Managing Director Kayode Opeifa announced the indefinite suspension of Abuja–Kaduna train services pending investigations.

He confirmed that six passengers sustained minor injuries and had been treated. He added that refunds for affected passengers have been activated, while security and emergency teams were swiftly mobilised.

“The safety of our passengers remains paramount. A technical team is already on the ground alongside the Nigeria Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB) to unravel the cause,” Opeifa said.

The NSIB immediately dispatched a go-team of investigators to the site. Its Director-General, Alex Badeh Jr., pledged a transparent and independent investigation into both direct and underlying causes.

“We deeply sympathise with those injured. Our duty is to uncover the root cause and make safety recommendations that will prevent a repeat of such a frightening episode,” Badeh stated.

The Bureau stated that its findings would consider technical, operational, and institutional factors, with updates provided as the investigation progresses.

 

*Kaduna State reacts

Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani directed emergency treatment and psychological support for the affected passengers, urging calm and assuring residents that the situation was under control. Security forces, including military personnel, were deployed to secure the area and aid evacuations.

 

*Panic as passengers scramble for safety; six injured in chaos

Passengers recounted moments of panic, with many fearing a repeat of the March 2022 terrorist attack, when heavily gunmen bombed the same line, killing at least nine passengers, injuring dozens, and abducting over 60 others.

“When the coach shook violently, my mind went back to that night terrorists struck. I just grabbed my child and ran,” a mother said, still trembling.

 

*Suspension of lifeline rail corridor sparks outrage, fresh safety fears

The derailment also recalls several breakdowns and minor derailments that have been previously reported on the corridor, incidents that critics say reflect lapses in maintenance and oversight, despite significant government investments.

The indefinite suspension has left thousands of daily commuters stranded, many of whom prefer the train as a safer alternative to the Abuja–Kaduna highway, notorious for kidnappings.

Tuesday’s derailment has reignited public outrage and questions over whether the NRC and government authorities have learned any lessons from past tragedies.

With each fresh incident, confidence in the flagship Abuja–Kaduna corridor—once touted as a symbol of Nigeria’s rail renaissance—continues to erode.

As one stranded passenger put it bluntly, “We escaped kidnappers on the road only to face danger on the train. Where then are Nigerians safe?”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button