Migration: UK ready to give Rwanda £15m to seal new small boats treaty

Rwanda is to be given at least £15 million ($19 million) extra to sign a treaty with the UK to take migrants who arrive in Britain via small boats, it has been reported.
British newspaper Sunday Times said the money would be on top of the £140 million already given to Kigali as part of arrangements for the east African country to accept asylum seekers arriving in the UK after undertaking the perilous journey across the English Channel.
Downing Street insiders did not rule out the prospect of Rwanda being given more money as part of a treaty deal, telling PA news agency that any potential cash boost would be to cover additional costs associated with addressing the concerns raised by the Supreme Court when it ruled the plan was unlawful.
Arrangements are understood to be in place for Home Secretary James Cleverly to fly out to Rwanda to ratify a new treaty.
The Cabinet minister could travel out as soon as Monday, with emergency legislation also potentially to be tabled this week, according to The Sunday Times.
UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak met Rwanda’s President Paul Kagame on the sidelines of the Cop28 climate talks in Dubai on Friday.
He declined afterwards to say how much more money he would spend to get the scheme off the ground.
It has been reported that the additional £15 million will be used to pay for extra personnel to improve and expand the Rwandan asylum processing system.
The Conservative Party leader told a press briefing while at Cop that he was “finalising” legislation designed to push through the Rwanda proposal, which is seen as key to delivering on his pledge to stop the boats before a likely general election next year.
The prime minister has set the target of deportation flights taking off by the spring.
Sources inside Number 10 said the UK government was hopeful that the emergency legislation would be ready this week but that it could not be guaranteed.
The bid to send some asylum seekers on a one-way trip to the African nation was dealt a blow when the Supreme Court ruled it unlawful last month.
Sunak’s attempt to save the policy involves the signing of a new treaty with Kigali and the introduction of emergency legislation allowing Parliament to deem the country safe, despite concerns raised by senior judges.
Following the judgment by the Supreme Court on November 15, Downing Street originally said a new small boats law would be published within days but the wait has gone on for more than two weeks.
On Wednesday, the Home Office’s top official confirmed to MPs that negotiations on a Rwanda treaty were in their final stages.
Permanent Secretary Sir Matthew Rycroft told the Home Affairs Select Committee that officials were in the capital Kigali putting the “finishing touches” to the talks.
Migrants have continued to brave freezing December conditions to cross the Channel.
READ ALSO: UK’s Sunak suffers major blow as Rwanda migrant scheme declared unlawful
Home Office figures show that 93 migrants travelling on two boats arrived in Britain on Friday, with more believed to have landed on Saturday.
Almost 28,500 asylum seekers have arrived in 2023 using the sea route, with the one year anniversary of Sunak’s stop the boats pledge approaching next month.(Dpa/PA media/NAN)



