One Killed, Scores Injured at #EndSARS Protest in Edo
By Victor Ofure Osehobo, Benin City


Many protesters sustained serious injuries from gun shots and machete cuts, while one person was killed in Benin City, on Friday as the #EndSARS protest continued in Edo state.
The protester identified as Ikpenmwosa was allegedly shot and killed by armed thugs who shot at the youths near Ring Road, the venue of the day’s protest.
The protest by the youths began on a peaceful note at about 10am at the Ring Road but later turned bloody, as armed thugs attacked them.
One eyewitness said, “They came from behind Urhokpota Hall, near the market with guns, cutlasses and other dangerous weapons when the protesters were assembling at Ring Road”.
While some of the protesting youths took to their heels, others stayed back to persuade the thugs that the peaceful protest was for all of them but they turned deaf ears.
“They even stopped cars and vandalized some of them as some people ran for their lives. Some traders ran into the markets as bewildered traders closed their shops”.
Many with gunshot injuries were treated and discharged at the nearby Central Hospital, while the body of Ikpomwosa was conveyed in an ambulance and deposited at the entrance of the Edo state Governor’s office.
Condemning the attack on the protesting youths, Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki in a statement, said a thorough investigation would commence immediately to bring the culprits to justice.
He also charged the Edo State Police Command to come out in full force to provide adequate security to the protesters, as they were exercising their rights as concerned citizens of Nigeria.
According to him, “I have just learnt that hoodlums have attacked #ENDSARS protesters, who have conducted themselves peacefully in Benin City. I extend condolences to the victims of the attacks, including those who lost their lives and others who were injured by the thugs.
“I hereby call on the Edo State Police Command to get out on the streets and provide adequate security for the protesters and ensure that no one is harassed in the course of exercising their rights.”
But the PDP in the state has blamed a faction of the APC for the incident saying it was their revenge, “for their rejection during the gubernatorial polls that took place on September 19, 2020”.
In a statement signed by its publicity secretary Mr Kris Nehikhare, the party said, “Their behavior is even more vexatious especially when it is juxtaposed against the reason for the protest. Their ignorance is frightening and should be an embarrassment to their sponsors”.
He added that as a party, the PDP welcome the dissolution of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) and support the call for immediate steps to completely overhaul and restructure the entire police architecture.
So far, he said, “…we are very proud of the way Edo youths have comported themselves as they make these demands that will be of enormous benefit to all Nigerians now and in the future!”
One of the injured, Godwin Abe said the thugs descended on him while he watched, nearby as they were retrieving their machete from their vehicles.
He said, “Because I held phone in my hand, they started beating me accusing me of filming their activities. They collected the phone as I had to run for my life,” he said. #



