All NewsNewsTop News

Osun gov‘ship: Fear, apathy cast shadow ahead of poll

By David Lawani, with agency report

 

Fear and uncertainty have intensified across Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election, with political violence and security concerns threatening to dampen voter enthusiasm.

Residents in some communities have reportedly become reluctant to wear party-branded caps, shirts and other campaign materials, fearing that visible political affiliation could expose them to attacks.

The Nigeria Police Force has recorded at least 30 politically motivated killings in the state, raising concerns over the safety of voters, party agents and election officials.

The violence has also fuelled fears that some residents could stay away from polling units because of security concerns.

The election is shaping up as a three-way contest involving Governor Ademola Adeleke of the Accord Party, the All Progressives Congress candidate, Bola Oyebamiji, and the African Democratic Party candidate, Najeem Salaam.

To contain the threat, the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu, announced the deployment of at least four police officers to every polling unit across the state.

Disu described the operation as one of the largest security deployments undertaken for an election in Osun, with security agencies expected to prevent attacks and protect voters.

The deployment, however, has not completely dispelled anxiety in some communities, where residents remain wary of being identified with rival political parties.

Chairman of the Osun State Civil Societies Coalition, Waheed Lawal, said recent violence and public concerns over security agencies had contributed to the prevailing tension.

“There is tension and people are currently afraid because of the violence here and there, and because of what the security agencies are doing, especially the police. People have lost confidence in them,” he said.

Lawal said the distinction between political and cult-related violence had become increasingly difficult because of alleged links between cult groups and political actors.

“Some of the violence is cult-related, but you can hardly differentiate between political and cult killings now because these cultists have integrated themselves into politics,” he said.

He alleged that some political actors were deliberately creating fear to discourage voters from participating, but expressed confidence that residents remained determined to vote.

The Executive Director of Socio-Economic and Civic Rights Advocacy, Emmanuel Olowu, attributed the tension to the desperation of political actors to win power at all costs.

Olowu said the removal of former Commissioner of Police, Ibrahim Gotan, had reduced some agitation but noted that apprehension persisted, particularly in the Ijesa area.

“There is tension; people are afraid, and the political attacks have not stopped. People are being killed, and the police are perceived to be biased,” he said.

The Executive Director of the World Institute for Peace, Lamina Kamiludeen, said at least 14 people had been killed between January and August, while the police had recorded 30 politically motivated killings.

“Between January and August this year, no fewer than 14 people have been killed, and it is disheartening. We condemn the political killings,” he said.

Kamiludeen urged whoever emerges governor to confront cultism and political thuggery, warning that the problems could persist beyond the election.

The Accord Party chairman in Osun, Pastor Victor Akande, acknowledged the tension but expressed hope that the security deployment would restore calm.

“There is certainly some tension in the state, but we are hopeful that the atmosphere will improve before the election with the deployment of adequate security personnel,” Akande said.

The APC, however, rejected suggestions of tension within its ranks. Its Director of Media and Publicity, Kola Olabisi, expressed confidence in the police and the party’s electoral prospects.

“There’s no tension in our party. Oyebamiji has been carrying his campaign train to all the nooks and crannies of the state,” Olabisi said.

The security concerns have been compounded by claims from the APC and Accord Party that they have collectively lost 18 members during the election build-up.

The state has witnessed attacks on party supporters and campaign convoys, shootings and alleged assassination attempts.

Governor Ademola Adeleke’s campaign organisation has also accused the police of detaining more than 60 Accord Party leaders and supporters.

The Imole Campaign Council, in a statement by its Media and Publicity Sub-Committee Chairman, Bamidele Sallam, demanded their immediate release.

“We demand immediate release of over 60 Accord leaders and members under illegal detention, including an Accord candidate for House of Representatives for Ijesa South, identified simply as Hon. Alaba,” Sallam said.

The campaign group had earlier petitioned the National Human Rights Commission over the alleged arrests.

Its spokesperson, Pelumi Olajengbesi, accused the Osun police of intimidating Adeleke’s supporters and urged the commission to intervene.

The campaign organisation also petitioned President Bola Tinubu over the alleged intimidation.

The security situation has been further complicated by a struggle for control of motor parks involving factions of the National Union of Road Transport Workers.

NURTW members believed to be aligned with the APC reportedly took over several parks, displacing officials installed by the state government.

The development triggered clashes between rival groups, with several people, including passers-by, reportedly injured while fleeing.

 

*CSO coalition urges credible, violence-free Osun election

Meanwhile, the Campaign for Democracy Human Rights Advocacy Civil Society (CD-CSO) Coalition, Niger Chapter, has urged the Federal Government and relevant agencies to ensure credible, peaceful and violence-free elections in Osun State.

The coalition made the call in a communiqué issued after its State Executive Committee meeting held on Saturday in Minna.

The communiqué issued to journalists on Sunday in Abuja was jointly signed by the State Chairman, Dr Abdullahi Mohammed and Secretary-General, Mr Tayo Ayobami.

It urged the Federal Government and agencies involved in the August 15 Osun Governorship Election to ensure fairness, justice and security while protecting voters’ freedom and participation.

The coalition called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and other stakeholders to ensure a free, fair, transparent and credible election, with zero tolerance for malpractice and violence.

It also urged the media to ensure that its reportage reflected accurate information to the public and follow up on the activities from the polling units to the announcement of the final result.

The coalition said it was working with civil society organisations involved in voter mobilisation and media advocacy, alongside the newly approved and registered Democratic Leadership Alliance, to provide opportunities for interested individuals.

It said the platform would provide opportunities for ideologically focused, service-oriented, transparent, credible and honest individuals interested in elective public offices to participate in the 2027 general elections.

The coalition also advised opposition political parties in Niger to unite and mobilise citizens behind alternative leaders capable of competing favourably with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2027.

It commended the Niger Government for its performance and achievements under Gov. Mohammed Umar Bago’s administration in the past three years.

The coalition, however, urged the administration to do more in social welfare, healthcare, education, pension matters, potable water supply, electricity, transportation and human security.

It said improved delivery in those areas would help strengthen public confidence and improve the welfare of citizens ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The coalition announced plans, in partnership with stakeholders, community leaders, professional bodies and the media, to organise a town hall meeting with Bago on November 19 in Minna.

It said the engagement would focus on transparency, the governor’s three-year stewardship and achievements in public service delivery to the people.

“Nigerlites are yearning for good governance and compassionate leaders with the fear of God and goal-getters to ensure improvements in the quality of people’s lives and welfare,” it said.

The coalition said such engagements would enable voters to make informed political decisions in the interest of the public ahead of the 2027 general elections.

 

*INEC suspends PVC collection ahead of Saturday’s exercise

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has suspended the collection of Permanent Voter Cards in Osun State ahead of the August 15 governorship election, as the commission moves to finalise preparations for the poll.

The suspension affects the collection exercise following the completion of the scheduled collection at Local Government Area centres across the state.

INEC said voters who applied for replacement of lost, damaged or defaced PVCs have until midnight on Sunday, August 9, to print downloadable copies of their cards.

The commission explained that the measure would enable it to compile the number of downloaded cards and determine the final statistics of PVCs collected ahead of the governorship election.

PVC collection in Osun began at Registration Area centres on July 22 and was initially scheduled to end on July 28.

However, INEC extended the exercise at the Registration Area level until July 31 after voters complained about large crowds and difficulties encountered at some collection centres.

The exercise subsequently moved to Local Government Area centres, where collection continued from August 1 to 7.

The development comes as INEC intensifies preparations for the August 15 governorship election, with political parties and candidates entering the final phase of their campaigns.

Meanwhile, INEC has extended the deadline for political parties to submit the names and details of their governorship and State House of Assembly candidates for the 2027 General Election.

The commission shifted the deadline from August 8 to Tuesday, August 11, 2026.

The extension was announced in a statement issued by INEC National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, Mohammed Kudu Haruna.

According to the commission, the decision followed requests from political parties for additional time to complete the uploading of their candidates’ information on the designated portal.

The extension applies to the submission process for the 2027 governorship and State House of Assembly elections nationwide and is separate from the ongoing preparations for the Osun governorship poll.

INEC has assured stakeholders of its commitment to conducting the Osun election in a credible and orderly manner as the state prepares for voting on August 15.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button