S’Africa targeted me, but I won’t respond with anger, says Chidimma Adetshina

Chidimma Adetshina, the former Miss South Africa contestant who went on to win Miss Universe Nigeria 2024, has spoken publicly about her prolonged citizenship dispute in South Africa, accusing those behind the controversy of unfairly singling her out.
Adetshina made the remarks after the Cape Town Regional Court again deferred proceedings in a legal battle linked to attempts to detain her pending deportation.
In a video shared on X by South African broadcaster eNCA, Adetshina said she believed the controversy had gone beyond an ordinary citizenship dispute, alleging that she had been made an example in the process.
“I believe that I have been treated unfairly and targeted and there has been an attempt to make me an example. But my message is not going to be one out of anger,” she said.
The 2024 Miss Universe Nigeria winner maintained that she was born in Soweto and had taken the appropriate legal steps to establish her citizenship status.
She said her approach throughout the dispute had been to allow the courts and other relevant legal processes to determine the matter, adding that she would continue to respect whatever decision emerged from the proceedings.
“Throughout this ordeal I have availed myself of all appropriate legal laws and I will continue to respect and abide by each process,” she said.
Adetshina also used the development to appeal for restraint from South Africans, warning that xenophobia and misinformation should not be allowed to influence the treatment of people whose citizenship or immigration status is being contested.
“South Africa is governed by the rule of law and we should not allow xenophobia and misinformation to determine how people are going to be treated. We should all be guided by the spirit of Ubuntu,” she said.
The court adjourned the case until February 27, 2027.
Adetshina is contesting efforts to detain her in connection with possible deportation, while the legal dispute over her citizenship status remains unresolved.
The former Miss South Africa contestant thanked her family, friends, supporters and lawyers for standing by her, saying their support had remained important throughout the legal battle.



