Four Nigerians arrested in India as authorities seize drugs worth N2.1bn

Indian authorities have arrested four Nigerian nationals in separate operations linked to an alleged drug trafficking network, recovering narcotics estimated at about ₹15 crore, equivalent to roughly N2.1bn.
The arrests were made by India’s Narcotics Control Bureau in collaboration with state police and other security agencies during investigations into suspected drug trafficking and illegal immigration involving foreign nationals.
The first operation took place on July 18 in Khanpur, Delhi, following intelligence supplied by the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force.
According to the NCB, officers recovered more than 5kg of amphetamine and arrested a Nigerian identified as Obase Prosper Ogboronjor.
The agency said Ogboronjor was also wanted over an alleged cyber-fraud case involving approximately ₹68 lakh. It added that he had remained in India despite the expiration of his medical visa in June 2023.
Investigators subsequently moved to Hans Enclave in Gurugram on July 21, where another Nigerian, Abuchi George Okorie, was arrested.
The operation yielded 9.7kg of amphetamine and 67.84kg of pseudoephedrine, a controlled substance which the NCB said can be used in the illegal production of methamphetamine.
The agency said Okorie had entered India on a medical attendant visa that expired in June 2015 but allegedly continued to reside in the country.
The investigation was expanded to Mehrauli, Delhi, on August 3, leading to the seizure of 318 grammes of cocaine and 6 grammes of heroin.
Two more Nigerians, Uchenna Stephen Nwanko and Chikezie Joshua Igwe, were arrested at the location.
The NCB alleged that the two men had been living in India illegally for more than 13 years.
During the operation, an unidentified African woman allegedly attempted to escape from the premises by jumping from a balcony and sustained injuries. She was taken for medical treatment while authorities worked to establish her identity.
The NCB said the series of arrests formed part of a broader effort to disrupt drug trafficking networks involving foreign nationals and address cases of illegal overstaying.
It subsequently warned hotels, guest houses, landlords and other accommodation providers to comply with regulations governing the stay of foreign nationals and provide required information to authorities.
The agency also announced plans for a nationwide enforcement campaign, codenamed “Trinetra”, scheduled to begin in the first week of September.
The fortnight-long operation will involve the NCB, state police and immigration authorities and will focus on identifying foreign nationals who are allegedly overstaying their visas and may be connected to drug trafficking activities.
The arrests and seizures come as Indian authorities intensify efforts to tackle the intersection of narcotics trafficking and immigration violations involving foreign nationals.



