
By Seyi Odewale
At least 25 people have been killed in a fresh attack on Kawel community in Mushere District of Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau State, in yet another reminder of the worsening security challenges confronting parts of the country.
The attack, which occurred in the early hours of Monday, came as security operatives in Kogi State announced the interception of a cache of arms and ammunition allegedly destined for criminal groups seeking to regroup and launch fresh attacks.
Chairman of Bokkos Local Government Area, Samuel Amalau, confirmed the Plateau attack, saying heavily armed assailants stormed the community at about midnight and opened fire on residents.
According to him, the attackers also invaded a Primary Healthcare Centre in the community, killing four persons receiving treatment.
While local sources initially put the death toll at about 30, the council chairman said authorities had so far confirmed 25 fatalities, with efforts ongoing to ascertain the full extent of the carnage.
The latest bloodshed comes barely three months after armed bandits ambushed a joint security patrol team in Kanam Local Government Area of Plateau State, killing at least 20 security personnel and vigilantes.
*Kogi foils major arms smuggling network, arrests suspects
As security agencies battle to contain recurring attacks in Plateau, authorities in Kogi State say they have successfully foiled an attempt by criminal elements to replenish their stockpile of weapons.
The Kogi State Government disclosed that a joint intelligence-led operation involving local security outfits, Hybrid Forces under the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), the Department of State Services (DSS), and the 12 Brigade of the Nigerian Army led to the arrest of three suspects linked to an arms trafficking syndicate.
According to a statement issued by the Commissioner for Information and Communications, Kingsley Fanwo, operatives acted on intelligence indicating that a consignment of weapons was being moved to criminal groups operating within and around Kogi State.
Security agencies reportedly tracked a Golf 2 vehicle allegedly being used to transport the weapons. They placed the suspects under surveillance for more than two weeks before making arrests in Sokoto State.
“Acting swiftly on the intelligence, security agencies coordinated efforts across state boundaries and tracked the movement of the suspects while maintaining close surveillance on their activities,” the statement said.
Recovered items included two AK-47 rifles, several AK-47 magazines, 67 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition, two pistols, 12 rounds of pistol ammunition, and military uniforms allegedly meant for use by criminal groups.
Authorities said the vehicle used in transporting the weapons was later impounded in Kabba, Kabba-Bunu Local Government Area.
The state government linked the attempted arms shipment to recent security operations that have weakened criminal networks operating in parts of Kogi.
“Available intelligence suggests that these desperate elements have been making frantic efforts to replenish their stockpile of weapons in a bid to fight their way out of the sustained security pressure being mounted against them by security forces,” the government stated.
Officials described the interception as a breakthrough in ongoing efforts to prevent criminal groups from regrouping and escalating attacks.
The development underscores the contrasting security realities across the country—while communities in Plateau continue to count their dead after another deadly assault, security agencies in Kogi appear to have acted ahead of armed groups by disrupting a suspected rearmament plot before it could translate into fresh violence.


