All NewsNews

Plateau imposes 24-hour curfew in LG over terrorists attacks

Plateau imposes 24-hour curfew in LG over terrorists attacks
Authorities in the Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau yesterday evening declared a 24-hour curfew in the council area.

The chairman of the Interim Management Committee in the LGA, Markus Artu, who announced the curfew in a statement yesterday evening said: “A 24-hour curfew has been declared in Mangu Local Government Area.  As such there will be no vehicular movement of any sort.

“Furthermore, all movement on motorcycles has been banned until further notice. Only Security personnel and workers on essential duty will be allowed to move.”
It was learnt that the declaration of the curfew followed a fresh invasion of some communities in the area by terrorists.

Although, the exact number of casualties recorded in the affected communities could not be verified at the time of filling this report, sources said the terrorists invaded about four communities in the LGA including Mangu town, and killed several residents while several houses were also burnt.
The lawmaker representing the Mangu South constituency, Bala Fwangji who spoke with our Correspondent on the phone on Sunday night confirmed the development.

The lawmaker said: “All I can tell you is that war has been declared on our people in Mangu. They are just attacking and killing our people right left and centre. The attacks started today in the Bwai community and then, they moved to Mangu town and now, it has spread to Sabon Gari. Our people really need help. It is to curtail the situation that Local Government authority has declared a 24-hour curfew in the LGA.”

The spokesman for the Plateau State Police Command, Alabo Alfred, could not be reached when contacted on the fresh attacks in Mangu communities but the police command had earlier deployed its mobile units to the troubled LGA and other areas in the state in a bid to protect the people from further attacks by terrorists which had persisted in the past months.

More congratulatory messages for new NGE President, Anaba
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has congratulated the editor of Vanguard newspaper, Mr. Eze Anaba, on his election as the President of the Nigeria Guild of Editors (NGE).

Governor Sanwo-Olu in a statement, yesterday, said the election of Anaba, as President of NGE during the Guild’s National Biennial Convention in Imo State, is a testament to the trust and belief his colleagues have in him and other executive members elected to steer the ship of the Nigeria Guild of Editors for the next two years.

Sanwo-Olu who commended the immediate past President, Mr. Mustapha Isah, for his leadership attributes and successful tenure, also congratulated the newly elected executive members of the Nigeria Guild of Editors.

He said Anaba and other executives of the Nigeria Guild of Editors over the years had proved their mettle in journalism and the media industry, adding that he had no doubt that they would continue with the tradition of excellence, nobility and professionalism that have been the hallmarks of the profession.

He said: “The election of Mr. Eze Anaba as President of Nigeria Guild of Editors is deserving, considering his experience, commitment, and long years of service in the media industry and NGE in particular.

“He is a seasoned journalist and media manager with a proven track record of excellence in journalism. I believe his election as President of the NGE will contribute positively to the media industry.

“I want to urge the President and other executive members of the Nigeria Guild of Editors to bring their wealth of experience to bear in strengthening the media industry, particularly the journalism profession, working with other stakeholders to wage a war against fake news, which is threatening the social fabric of our society today.

“I also want to appeal to the new NGE executives to see their new leadership positions as a crucial assignment for the press to be more circumspect and developmental in its role as the watchdog of society,” Governor Sanwo-Olu advised NGE executives.

Also, his counterpart from Ekiti State Governor Biodun Oyebanji congratulated Anaba, on his election as President of Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE).

NAN reports that Anaba polled 250 votes to defeat his only opponent, Bolaji Adebiyi, who scored 81 votes.

The governor, in a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media, Yinka Oyebode, said Anaba’s election offered him an opportunity to build on the achievements of his predecessors who worked hard to take the guild to great heights.

He also congratulated the guild on a the conduct of a rancour-free election.

Describing Anaba as a thoroughbred professional, with extensive experience and contact, Oyebanji urged him to deploy his wealth of experience in strengthening the guild and taking it to greater heights.

He also congratulated other NGE executive members elected at the convention.
The governor said that their election had placed them in good stead to make history for themselves and contribute to the growth of the media industry as one of the pillars of democracy in Nigeria.

He urged the new NGE leadership to collaborate with other media bodies in the country to ensure adherence to the code of ethics of the media profession.

Oyebanji called on Anaba and his team to ensure that the guild continued to serve as a rallying point for media professionals to chart a new course for the growth of the industry.

He said that the new NGE boss should also ensure better welfare for journalists as well as training and survival of media organisations in the country.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button