All NewsNews

Police Declare Two US Aide Workers Missing In Anambra

By Cajetan Mmuta, Awka
Two United States Consulate workers have been declared missing by the police following Tuesday’s attack, which led to the killing and burning of seven of their colleagues, including three security operatives in Anambra state.

Recall that members of the Eastern Security Network (ESN), a militant arm of members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IBOB) had attacked the US embassy workers in an ambush along Osamala/Atani road in Ogbaru local government area where they killed the seven victims, burnt their bodies including vehicles and abducted two in the process.

Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Echeng Echeng, disclosed this during a press conference held on Thursday at the command’s headquarters in Amawbia town near Awka the state capital.

He vowed that the command would not rest until the two missing staff of the US consulate were found.

Echeng Echeng also explained that “two persons of interest,” whose names were not disclosed for security reasons have been arrested in connection with the dastard act which in the past few days received the condemnation of many across the country and beyond.

This is as Governor Charles Soludo has placed a reward for anyone with useful information that would lead to the arrestor whereabouts of the fleeing suspects behind the attacks and abduction oncodents.

Soludo stated this on Thursday in a statement by his press secretary, Mr. Christian Abutime and made available to newsmen in Awka .

He said, “We call on anyone with information on the identity or whereabouts of the criminals to offer same on our secured security phone numbers or to any of the security agencies and such informant will be handsomely rewarded. Investigations are underway.”

According to the state government, “We assure our residents and visitors of our continued commitment to law and order. If anything, this incident has emboldened our drive.”

Echeng said that a team of officials from the Lagos Consulate of the United States of America and their police escorts (USA) were ambushed on 16/05/2023 between 12:00hours and 14:00hours, along Atani/Osamela road in Ogbaru Local Government Area (LGA) of Anambra State by suspected Eastern Security Network ESN/ Indigenous people of Braifa, IPOB.

He pointed out that “Information about the incident was received by Anambra State Police Command, through an official of the consulate, at about 14:30 hours. Consequently, a joint team of Mobile Policemen and troops of the Nigerian Navy stationed in Onitsha was immediately deployed to the area. Upon arrival at the scene of the incident, the joint security team sighted and engaged the assailants in a shoot-out but they escaped through a nearby forest.”

He said that,”Yesterday – 17/05/2023, joint security forces comprising police tactical teams from the command and troops of the Nigerian Army as well as the Nigerian Navy raided a camp in Ugwuaneocha community of Ogbaru LGA, which was suspected to be the hideout of the assailants, but discovered that it had been deserted.”

“Two persons of interest were arrested, and they are currently assisting the police in the investigation. The criminal camp was razed down by the joint security team.”

“The preliminary investigation conducted by the command, following the incident, revealed that five male officials of the USA consulate and four armed Mobile Police escorted from Lagos on a mission to assess the impact of erosion in Ogbaru LGA were travelling in a convoy of two vehicles when they suddenly came under attack by armed men who targeted them with gunfire and set their vehicles ablaze. Regrettably, seven persons (including three of the consulate officials and four Mobile Police escorts) were murdered during the attack while two other officials of the consulate are yet to be found.”

“The deceased police officers include Inspr. Bukar Adams, Inspr. Friday Morgan, Inspr. Adam Andrew and Inspr. Emmanuel Lupata, all of Squadron 23, Police Mobile Force, Lagos.

The police declared that, “No USA citizen was amongst the casualties.”

According to the police authority, “Information from the USAID authority disclosed that five (5) of their staff and four policemen were involved in the attack, and they include Jefferson Obayuwane (RTD DSS personnel)
Sunday Prince Ubong, Ekene Nweke,
Hassan Etila, Avwuvie Kaye Monday
Bukar . A. Kabuiki – (Police)
Emmanuel Lukpata – (Police)
Friday Morgan -(Police) and
Adamu Andrew – (Police)”

The police command stated further that , the remains of the deceased persons have all been recovered and deposited in a morgue while the state police command and other security agencies are working round-the-clock, in concert with the Government of Anambra State, to find and rescue the missing officials.

Echeng E. Echeng, however, called on members of the public who can provide information about the identities and locations of the culprits to kindly assist the police with such information timeously.

“On behalf of the Anambra State Police Command, I wish to seize this opportunity to condole the families and friends of the deceased persons as well as the USA Consul over this tragic incident. May I assure you all of the resolve and determination of the command and other security agencies to track down the perpetrators of these heinous crimes and bring them to justice.”

He assured that the command is focused on bringing the Perpetrators to book.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button