All NewsFootballSports

Rape allegation: Nike terminates Greenwood sponsorship

Nike have terminated their deal to kit Mason Greenwood after the Manchester United forward was arrested and released on bail.

Greenwood, 20, was apprehended by Greater Manchester Police in late January on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman.

While in police custody, he was further arrested on charges of sexual assault and making threats to kill.

Officers were granted two extensions to question Greenwood before he was released on bail on Wednesday last week.

Manchester United suspended the England international following his initial arrest and Nike at the time also put their relationship with the player on hold, according to the Mirror website.

“We have suspended our relationship with Mason Greenwood,” the American sportswear giants said.

“We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”

Three killed in Anambra accident

Nike have since confirmed they will no longer sponsor Greenwood with a fresh statement released yesterday, 7 February.

“Mason Greenwood is no longer a Nike athlete,” they told The Athletic.

The Manchester United academy graduate, who joined the club aged six, has also been removed from video games FIFA, eFootball, and PES.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button